Accommodation for exchange students in Turku
Update 18th of November: The apartment offering process for spring semester 2023 has started and is still ongoing. Please wait patiently for your possible offer.
Please don´t send us emails, since it will slow down the apartment offering proess. Wait patiently for your offer. The offers will be sent during TYS Office hours (Mo-Fri 8am-4pm). We don´t sent the offers during weekends.
Please also note that we will only send one offer per application and the offer is valid for four days. Accepted housing offer is binding.
The Turku Student Village Foundation (TYS) builds, renovates, maintains and rents apartments for students in the Turku area. In total TYS has around 7 000 apartment places in 20 different housing locations. For exchange students TYS has around 410 rooms in two housing locations: Iltakajo (Varissuo area) and the Student Village (campus area).
When and how to apply
Application time for exchange students starts three months before arrival. We recommend applying as soon as the application opens. The housing agreements are made only for full semester and rent must be paid for full semester even if you are arriving later
It is possible to apply housing for one (August-December or January-May) or two semesters (January-December or August-May)
It is also possible to apply housing for summer months. The starting and ending dates of contract are mentioned in the housing offer.
Every exchange student needs to fill in one individual housing application. If you wish to change some information on your application, you can do that by logging in to the Tenant Pages with the username and password delivered to you after submitting the application. Do not fill in another application form in any case! If you do not manage to edit your application by yourself please contact TYS for help.
If you wish to stay with a friend, both should fill in an individual housing application and write friends name and additional wishes to the application form’s comment field. If you arrive with a spouse or with children or if you have special remarks concerning housing (medical reasons etc), please contact TYS beforehand.
Please attach the admission letter/certificate of your studies in Turku. The certificate needs to be written by the arrival university in Turku. If you haven’t received your admission letter when the application time begins, you can always fill the application without and attach it when you receive the letter.
- Apply three months before arrival
- Application time for autumn semester (August-December) starts on 1st May
- Application time for spring semester (January-May) starts on 1st of October
- Apartments are always rented for full semesters only
- It is possible to apply housing for one (August-December or January-May) or two semesters (January-December or August-May)
- If you wish to stay with your friend, remember to write it down to the additional information field on the application
- Remember to attach your admission letter/study certificate from the university in Turku to your application
- The accepted housing offer is binding, so please check the dates and other details before accepting a housing offer.
- Rent must be paid for the whole semester regardless of the actual move-in or move-out date