The moving day is usually the first weekday of a month, so weekends and holidays are excluded. The new tenant will receive the keys on the moving day. According to the law, the previous tenant must reserve at least half of the apartment to the new tenant’s use.
A few practical matters, and then you are ready to settle in.
A check-list for movers
- Remember to submit a notification of change of address! You can do this either at https://www.posti.fi/changeaddress/ or https://vrk.fi/en/frontpage. It is recommended that this notification is submitted at least one week before the move.
- Make sure that your apartment door has your name on it. You can get the name sign from the Tenant Office. If you wish, you can also get stickers for “No advertisements” and “Pets in the apartment” from the office.
- Please remember to take out a home insurance for your apartment from an insurance company of your choice.
- The Rescue Act requires that all apartments must be equipped with a fire alarm. The tenant is obligated to acquire the fire alarm.
- The Internet connection is available to the tenant right after moving in. You will need an Ethernet network cable (type RJ45) for the connection.
- Go through the rules of conduct
Paying the rent
The tenants receive their rent invoices for the entire year by email at the beginning of their agreement. You can also go to your online bank service and choose to receive it an as e-invoice.
The invoices will always be available also on your Tenant Pages. The due date of rent invoices is the 6th day of each month; the reference number will remain the same for the whole year.
A new tenant will receive the key from the Tenant Office on the first weekday of a month, starting from 12:00. Please bring your ID with you!
If you cannot pick up the key personally, you can also notify TYS that someone else will pick up the key for you. Report the name and date of birth of the person picking up the key in advance by email to email@example.com. When picking up the key, the person in question must present an official ID.
Acquiring keys directly from the tenant moving out
It is also possible that the tenant moving in and the tenant moving out will agree on key transfer between themselves. In this case, a key transfer agreement must be made. We recommend that the tenant moving out confirms in advance who is moving into the apartment by contacting the Tenant Office. Both parties must sign for the key transfer agreement either through the Tenant Pages or by signing the printed form. Please note that this also means that the new tenant approves the apartment’s level of cleanliness and will accept responsibility of the keys.
Key transfer outside office hours
As a paid additional service (€5 per time), you can pick up the key outside the office’s opening hours from the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia next to the Student Village (at Kongressikuja 1, 20540 Turku). However, this requires that TYS has been notified of the pick-up in advance in accordance with the following instructions:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest by noon on the weekday before the date you wish to pick up your key from R-kioski outside the Tenant Office’s opening hours. In the subject header, write R-kioski and your own name, and let the office know on which date and time you will pick up the key. Wait for a confirmation message.
- R-kioski will hand over the requested key on the date you reported only for the tenant themselves, in exchange of showing your ID and paying the €5 fee.
Many new tenants have not been able to see the apartment before moving in, and that is why you should inspect the apartment’s condition and cleanliness immediately after opening the door for the first time. At TYS, the old and new tenant often move at the same time, and mutual understanding is needed. Potential faults in the apartment should be reported to TYS immediately, primarily by calling the office.
The Tenant Pages have an apartment form, in which you can note down data about the apartment’s condition. The apartment form has to be filled in within 30 days of the starting date of the rental agreement. If you have not filled in the apartment form within this period of time, it is not possible to re-open it. The apartment inspection and filling in the apartment form should be taken care of to ensure your own legal protection, as it helps to ensure that, when you move out, you will not be liable for potential faults and defects that may have been in the apartment when you moved in.
Please note! The apartment form does not replace a fault report. A fault report must be separately made for all faults requiring repairs.
Inspecting the level of cleanliness
The tenant moving in should inspect the apartments cleanliness during the office’s opening hours on the move in day. If the apartment’s level of cleanliness is inadequate, this should be reported primarily by calling the customer services +358(0) 2275 0200, so that the inspection of cleaning needs and a cleaning service can be ordered for the apartment. Cleaning and inspections will be performed on weekdays, during the office’s opening hours. Unnecessary cleaning will be invoiced from the customer. Please note that TYS cannot compensate for a cleaning that you have performed yourself.